What Design Can Do is looking for TWO new
Supervisory Board members
including one member with a legal profile
What Design Can Do
What Design Can Do (WDCD) is an international platform headquartered in Amsterdam. WDCD focuses on the role of design and creativity in tackling social issues. WDCD connects creative makers with governments, businesses, knowledge institutions and citizens, with (global) design competitions, an online platform and during annual events. We are looking to expand our Supervisory Board with two new members, including one member with a legal profile.
The day-to-day management of WDCD is in the hands of the two directors, who are accountable to the Supervisory Board on the basis of, among other things, strategy, budget, annual accounts, results achieved and multi-year policy plan. The directors are jointly responsible for managing the organisation and the course set. The Culture Governance Code is a guideline for the relationship between the Supervisory Board and directors.
The Supervisory Board currently consists of five people and is composed according to the specific expertise of its members in the cultural, financial, legal, design and social spheres. In principle, the Supervisory Board meets four times a year.
Members of the Supervisory Board supervise the policy of the Management Board. They check the annual plans, annual reports and financial statements. The members of the Supervisory Board also serve as a sounding board for solicited and unsolicited advice to the management team in the preparation and implementation of policy.
General expectations of a Supervisory Board member
- Affinity with the vision and mission of WDCD.
- Affinity with culture, design and creativity.
- Sufficient relevant knowledge of and preferably experience in fulfilling an advisory and supervisory role.
- Experience with and insight into the management of (cultural) companies and relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- The following personal qualities: experienced team player, critical and alert, prepared to make concessions and to reach consensus. Collegiate with a sense of humour, yet sharp when necessary.
- Has a broad network and is willing to use this network for the benefit of WDCD.
- Fulfils an active social role and demonstrates social sensitivity and responsibility.
- Sufficient availability and energy to get involved. Prepared and able to attend and prepare for meetings (four times a year) of the Supervisory Board.
- The desired candidate represents the diversity of the WDCD community and contribute to a more inclusive environment. Candidates with diverse academic and cultural backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Specific profile requirements for member with legal profile
The candidate has the legal expertise and the capacities to fulfil the role of legal expert on the Supervisory Board and can begin July 2021;
To this end, the prospective member has:
- knowledge of and experience in the field of (cultural) governance.
- knowledge of and experience in the field of legislation and regulations with regard to employment law, contract law and/or IP law.
- the willingness to assist the board/management in legal matters.
Procedure and information
Please apply by 15 May 2021 at 9h00 to email@example.com to the attention of Maartje van Dehn.
For further information regarding the position, please contact Richard van der Laken (at firstname.lastname@example.org).