What Design Can Do is looking for a Financial Controller
What Design Can Do (WDCD) is an international foundation that seeks to accelerate the transition to a sustainable, fair, and just society using the power of design. Based in Amsterdam, with hubs in São Paulo, Mexico City, Delhi, Nairobi, and Tokyo. Our vision is a world that is sustainable, inclusive, just, and safe, and we believe in the problem-solving power of design to get us there. Our mission is to empower the global creative community to make a valuable contribution to solving the major problems of our time. WDCD’s team members contribute to this mission with their own expertise and creative power, and that’s where you come in.
WDCD organises annual design festivals, design challenges and other programmes on communication, advocacy, matchmaking and development. We are based in Amsterdam, but our work has an international scope. We work with partners in Mexico, Brazil, Japan, India, Kenya and the EU. Our funding comes from diverse private and public resources: grants, sponsorships, assignments and subsidies.
We are looking for a controller to support us for 20–24 hours per week. As a controller, you will oversee day-to-day accounting functions, integrating finance operations, forecasting and budgeting, handling tax matters, preparing financial reports and ensuring organisational financial stability.
What will you do?
Reporting to and working closely with the directors, other members of WDCD’s team and the external accountant, you will:
- Prepare financial reports (for both funding partners and internal use)
- Analyse financial data
- Monitor internal controls
- Oversee and prepare income statements
- Participate in budgeting processes
- Manage financial transactions
- Streamline accounting functions and operations
- Make financial projections and scenarios based on activity plans
- Evaluate and manage risks
- Coordinate/facilitate audit processes
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a controller with experience with (ANBI-driven) foundations and many forms of fundraising:
- You have proven experience in financial management
- You like working in a team and can communicate effectively
- You have thorough knowledge of accounting fundamentals
- You are familiar with (Dutch) tax issues related to nonprofits
- You are compliance-oriented
- You are capable of developing budgets and can do this in English and in Dutch
- You have an interest in, or experience working with, the creative sector, designers, sustainability and/or climate action
An interesting position with career opportunities, in a creative social impact organisation with an international scope and network. You’ll be joining a team of 12 Amsterdam-based creative professionals. The working atmosphere is informal, multilingual, team-oriented and encourages individual input and development.
The working hours are flexible and can be clustered in 2,5 days or 4 hrs per day.
Interested in this assignment?
If you are interested, we encourage you to get in touch with your motivation and CV in PDF as well as a brief profile (max. 3 pages) demonstrating your experience in controlling and financial management. Please send your application by 25 April 2022 at 9h to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Expression of Interest Controller’ stated in the email subject line. We look forward to hearing from you!