What Design Can Do is looking for a temporary Communications Manager
5 months: oct 2023 to may 2024
32-40 hours / week
What Design Can Do (WDCD) is an international organisation that seeks to accelerate the transition to a sustainable, fair and just society using the power of design. WDCD team members contribute to this mission with their expertise and creative power, and that’s where you come in.
As WDCD’s communications manager, you coordinate all communications around our programmes and organisation. In this position, you are responsible for the planning, budgets and coordination between our teams and partners to create the information and inspiration creatives need to make an impact.
Due to a maternity leave within our team, we are looking for a temporary replacement for a Communications Manager to coordinate the communications campaign of our Challenge programme.
Beginning of 2024, WDCD is launching a new Challenge, together with our partners in Mexico City, São Paulo, Nairobi, Delhi and Tokyo. This Challenge, selecting and celebrating its nominated and winning projects will be one of the main focuses for the organisation for this year. Coordinating this campaign and its challenging planning and goals will be especially prominent in your work.
You’ll work with our (amazing) Communications team, consisting of a PR & Media Manager, Content Creator and Editor. We collaborate closely with the design and programme teams to deliver impactful content that helps our global creative community flourish. In this role, you report to WDCD’s founders and creative directors. Together, the team creates content — in words and visuals — on intersectional issues such as climate justice, gender equality and circular design.
As a Communications Manager, here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Implement and optimise the communications strategy for WDCD’s upcoming Challenge;
- Create a communications plan for any upcoming WDCD events and projects;
- Manage and create content for our website, social media platforms, newsletters, and other communication channels.
- Coordinate and oversee the production of communications materials,
- Maintain relationships with (funding) partners, collaborative organisations and other stakeholders;
- Monitor and analyse the impact of communications efforts to track results and adjust strategies as needed.
- Collaborate with team members and partners to ensure consistent messaging and branding.
- Monitoring and reporting on communications campaigns and projects, using data from digital tools including Google Analytics.
We are looking for a unique and creative colleague who brings the following:
- You have a keen eye for grammar and spelling, in addition to near-native fluency in English;
- You have proven experience in managing (international) communications campaigns; coordinating and overseeing the production of visual and written content, for different platforms and audiences;
- You are comfortable working with creatives, working around topics centring social and environmental justice;
- You are motivated to share stories that are inclusive and accessible;
- You enjoy collaborating with many different colleagues; from our creative directors, to the programme, design and fundraising teams.
- You can keep a good overview of various activities within a bustling organisation.
Important practicals: This role requires attendance in-person at WDCD’s Amsterdam offices, and the candidate should live within a reasonable commuting distance. We require all applicants to already have the legal right to live and work in the Netherlands.
Here’s what to expect working with WDCD:
At WDCD, you will find a creative and challenging working atmosphere, where there’s always a new project on the horizon. You will be given plenty of space to do your work independently, with clear assignments and positive communication.
WDCD is based in the West of Amsterdam. All team members divide their time between working at home and in our Amsterdam studio. Fresh, vegetarian lunches are cooked and enjoyed by and with the team.
The salary for this role is in accordance with the Dutch creative industry standards and based on experience, it includes pension and 8% holiday allowance.
Are you reading along with enthusiasm? Then we’d love to meet you!
Even if you do not check every box in this job post, we invite you to respond to this vacancy. We are looking for someone who matches our mission and carries relevant work experience, but it is best for you to determine what is relevant. If you can demonstrate that you have the skills and motivation we are looking for, we encourage you to apply.
We would like to receive your CV and motivation letter (as a PDF file) as soon as possible. If you’d like to include examples of previous work to help demonstrate your approach, we welcome you to share them with us using links or PDFs.
To submit your application and with any questions at all, please email WDCD’s Operations Manager, Soraya Odendaal, at email@example.com. Our ideal start date is mid October 2023, or sooner if possible.
Please do not contact us for sales purposes or if you are an intermediary.