What Design Can Do is looking for a PR & MEDIA COORDINATOR
What Design Can Do (WDCD) is an international organisation that seeks to accelerate the transition to a sustainable, fair and just society using the power of design. WDCD team members contribute to this mission with their own expertise and creative power, and that’s where you come in.
As a PR & Media coordinator, you’ll build a strong case for sustainable design in the public eye. In this role, you activate a broad network of organisations, online outlets, newspapers, magazines and influential social media accounts, in order to reach a global audience of creatives, entrepreneurs and policymakers.
Across all initiatives, WDCD’s aim is to present best practices and visions, to provoke discussion and to facilitate fruitful exchange between disciplines. Why? To demonstrate the power of design; to show that it can do more than make things pretty; and to empower designers to stand up, own up and lead.
As a PR & Media Coordinator, here’s what you’ll be working on:
WDCD has big plans for its PR in the coming year, and we’re thankful to have an extensive network to make it happen. We’re looking for a PR & Media Coordinator who’s excited to execute it all. You’ll run campaigns not only to promote WDCD’s work — but also to advocate for design’s role in society. Your first big campaign will be our new Circular Design Challenge, which will launch in the Fall together with our partners in Mexico City, São Paulo, Nairobi, Delhi and Tokyo. You’ll be:
- Serving as the main point of contact for international media outlets and press contacts, with the aim of growing relationships (from initiating new collaborations to strengthening long-standing partnerships);
- Crafting meaningful pitches, and taking initiative to bring them to life (whether that means delivering ready-to-use content for a partner to publish, or finding a journalist to write an article from scratch);
- Planning and executing big press moments (such as the launch of a new Challenge, or the announcement of its nominees or winners), including copywriting press releases, preparing press materials/mailings and gathering useful input from our team along the way;
- Reaching out to WDCD’s network to share important news, and ensure our team and closest friends have everything they need to share about our work;
- Writing captivating press releases, charismatic newsletters to partners, punchy photo captions and, on occasion, web copy;
- Managing individual media projects as needed, such as video production for a new campaign or a team photoshoot here and there.
We are looking for a unique and motivated colleague who brings the following:
- You know how to approach media outlets with personalised pitches;
- You have a solid understanding of how to write a great press release, including structure and tone;
- You love maintaining a consistent brand identity across publications and finding the perfect visuals for each article;
- You thrive leading meetings with media partners, and you enjoy growing relationships that last;
- You are a skilled writer, and you have a keen eye for grammar, spelling and tone (in English);
- You are motivated to share stories that are inclusive and accessible, especially on design topics centring social and environmental justice;
- You are able to keep a good overview of various activities within a bustling organisation.
Important practicals: This role requires attendance in-person at WDCD’s Amsterdam offices, and the candidate should live within a reasonable commuting distance. We require all applicants to already have the legal right to live and work in the Netherlands.
Here’s a little more about working with WDCD:
At WDCD, you will find a creative and challenging working atmosphere, where there’s always a new project on the horizon. You will be given plenty of space to do your work independently, with clear assignments and positive communication.
You’ll work with our (amazing) Communications team, consisting of a Communications Manager, Content Creator, Blog Editor and — with this role — PR & Media Coordinator.
WDCD is based in the East of Amsterdam until September, when we’ll move our studio to the West of Amsterdam. All team members divide their time between working at home and in our Amsterdam studio. Fresh, vegetarian lunches are provided and enjoyed together with the team.
The salary for this role, based on ,8 FTE, is in the range of €2500-3000 gross per month (depending on experience), plus covered expenses, pension and 8% holiday allowance.
Are you reading along with enthusiasm? Then we’d love to meet you!
Even if you do not check every box in this job post, we invite you to respond to this vacancy. We are looking for someone who matches our mission and carries relevant work experience, but it is best for you to determine what is relevant. If you can demonstrate that you have the skills and motivation we are looking for, we encourage you to apply.
We would like to receive your CV and motivation letter (as a PDF file) before 1 August. If you’d like to include examples of previous work to help demonstrate your approach, we welcome you to share them with us using links or PDFs.
To submit your application and with any questions at all, please email Alison Pasquariello at email@example.com. The first round of interviews will take place on 16 or 17 August. We will provide a short assignment to selected candidates to complete before the second round of interviews, which will take place on 23 or 24 August. Our ideal start date is 3 October, or sooner if possible.
Please do not contact us for sales purposes or if you are an intermediary.